Saturday, September 28, 2013

Mental Hygiene

Unconventional Meditation Practice



I don't know many people who look forward to going to the dentist and neither do I really but there is one thing I do like about going to get my teeth cleaned: I know that I am going to get a good 30 minute meditation in.

I get my teeth cleaned often, not by choice but because I inherited the teeth of Johnny Rotten and if I don't keep them in tip-top condition they will cause me serious issues.

My decision to first meditate while in "the dental chair" was actually out of convenience. At that time I was holding on to a story and telling myself that I was too busy and didn't really have time to meditate very often (likely excuse). I found that being in that dental chair was one time that I was actually forced to sit still for more than five minutes - so to avoid the discomfort of the whole dental non-ambience I decided to try meditating.

Now while my gentle handed Hygienist is picking, poking and prodding, I am focused only on my breathing and meditation.

My real point here is that meditating doesn't have to be done cross legged with a shaved head and an orange robe.

Mindfulness meditation can be developed by anyone and can be practiced in any way that works for you individually.

I spent many years following a belief of "If you're not going to do it right, then

don't do it at all!"

Sound familiar? Oh I would wait until the conditions were just right, until I had all the proper equipment, or read enough books, or taken enough seminars etc. What I have now found is that I was doing more planning, figuring and actually procrastinating than jumping in feet first and just doing it, whatever "it" was.

So for the last few years I have made a habit of meditating every morning in my home as well as meditating in all kinds of unconventional places and at odd times. I am far from an expert but have created my own style of meditating that works for me - sans the robe and cropped haircut, and have taught myself to be able to slip in and out of a meditative state anywhere in a matter of seconds.

It is not only the benefits of meditation that have been rewarding for me but even more importantly it's the good feeling I have about myself for breaking out of my old belief pattern and forging ahead and "doing it" without worrying about having to be perfect, exact, conventional or RIGHT.




No comments:

Post a Comment